Increase Employee Engagement Using An Intranet

,
Increase Employee Engagement Using An Intranet

What is all of this hype around employee engagement and why is it so important to your business?

Employee engagement is a vital element of a successful and productive workplace. As most leaders probably realize, there is a direct relationship between how engaged employees are in their jobs and the financial success of an organization.

There are many things that we could talk about in connection to employee engagement but these studies (among hundreds others) establish the relationship and speak to the importance of employee engagement and your businesses’ bottom line:

  • Research by Gallup has concluded that when employees are engaged at work they are more productive, and drive higher levels of profitability. Yet, according to the Gallup State of The Workplace report, worldwide, only 13% of employees are engaged, meaning the other 87% are not engaged at their work.
  • According to Dale Carnegie Training, companies with engaged employees outperform those without by up to 202%.
  • The costs of low engagement aren’t limited to turnover and recruitment. Gallup found that actively disengaged employees cost the U.S. $450 billion to $550 billion per year

Clearly, employee engagement matters. The drivers of employee engagement are complex; from involvement in decision making to effective internal communication, to being valued and involved. In this series of articles, we will look at how many organizations have explored how social and digital technologies can address the challenge of employee engagement.

In comes…. the Intranet.

The concept of the Intranet is a closed and secure network within the scope of a company or business which cannot be accessed from outside.   It is an internal website that allows employees to easily share and discuss information within their company or organization. An intranet is basically an internal database, which every employee can access, with different permissions for various roles. It is a place where employees are engaged in online collaborations, leaders actively participate in dialogue with their teams, and the interaction drives higher ROI.

One of the keys to success in business is to have a connected, integrated and involved employee base. When employees are disengaged, dislocated and misinformed it can lead to poor performance and unengaged workforce that ultimately impacts your bottom line. However, low employee engagement is not a simple problem to fix. But, what does this have to do with an Intranet?

Increasing employee engagement has become one of the central purposes for company’s implementing intranets because they help to solve the challenges of connectedness, integration, and involvement.  An employee intranet promotes employee engagement by offering tools that foster peer-to-peer collaboration and employee participation. The following diagram, courtesy of Worldwide Intranet Challenge, identifies key business reasons for having an intranet. At the core of this diagram is the assumption that the primary purpose of an intranet is to help employees do their job more effectively. From this central assumption, there are 8 key business drivers that can be addressed by having a corporate intranet.

 

Using Your Intranet to Boost Employee Engagement: Part 1

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *