What is an intranet?
Intranets are private, secured networks that are used to share information effectively within a company. The goal of an intranet is to ease communication, collaboration and document sharing for people within an organization. Intranets provide a virtual space for employees to work together, which is great for when people are spread out geographically. Overall, an intranet optimizes exiting business processes to centralize information, reduce complexity and maximize productivity.
Businesses can use intranets for a variety of reasons:
• Streamline day to day activity by making repetitive tasks easier to complete
• Improve internal communication with employee directories, company news and organization charts
• Increase employee engagement by minimizing and centralizing “locked up” information
• Collaboration is made easier as employees can share information across the board
• Provides personalized information and content to users based on role
• Provides easy access to important information including policies, benefits and company updates
• Centralize and organize company data into a single database
Why should I consider an intranet for my business?
As companies continue to become more and more decentralized, intranets are becoming increasingly important in the business landscape. Secure intranets are the fastest growing segment of the internet because they are less expensive to maintain compared to private networks. Harvard Business School conducted an ROI-engagement study that revealed for every 1% increase in employee engagement, the return on investment (ROI) for a social intranet increased 1000%.